Postcard of the Month: August 2026
/William Dyer at Littlehampton
This postcard, by William Wareham, shows a stern view of the William Dyer alongside the east bank with the old windmill in the background and a river barge in the foreground.
The Dyer family was prominent in the town, and it’s possible that the vessel was named after a William Dyer who was a master mariner and shipowner - and one of the early owners - living at the time in Norfolk (see technical data below). The date of the photo is not known, and the card was unposted,. However, “Jul 1915” was written in pencil on the reverse (although this would not fit with the earlier date for the vessel’s sale or loss - see technical data below), so it may be the date the postcard was first purchased.
Here, William Dyer is shown under tow by Jumna, with two sails set, presumably in the process of leaving harbour (although high in the water and probably unloaded). There’s no date but it’s an early Frank Spry card, so it was probably published between 1910 and 1914 when Jumna bowed out.
In this card, William Dyer is under sail midway down the harbour, well laden so departing with a cargo. This is also an early Spry card with Jumna visible alongside on the right, also from between 1910 and 1914.
This early Spry card shows the vessel leaving the harbour entrance, taken from the pier, possibly on the same occasion as the previous card.
Notes on William Dyer and Technical Data
Various information provided with postcards has provided the following, although none can be verified as no references have been provided.
WD was built in 1865 by Lumsden at Monkwearmouth, Sunderland, possibly as a brig (see below) and registered in 1865 at Weymouth, owned by William Dyer of Yarmouth, Norfolk. The owner in 1880 was Mary Anne Dyer of Weymouth. By 1890 the vessel was transferred to Charles Lovell. In 1893 WD was sold to Guernsey owners William Weatherall then, in 1910, was managed by Fred Friend of Whitstable. Around 1913 WD was apparently sold to France.
Greater reliance is placed on the following entry in ‘Closing Down Sail’ by W. Martin Benn, a reputable maritime expert, who collected data from official records on sailing vessels of the period and self-published the title.
WILLIAM DYER
Built 1865 Sunderland by Lumsden. Rig Brigantine, Tons 186 gross, 168 net.
Dimensions 97.9 x 23.6 x 13.3 (ft).
Sold 13 Feb. 1913 to Charles G. Lyon, Knottingley, Yorks. Re-registered Hull 1913. Register closed 26 April 1913 - vessel sold to France.
There are other reports that suggest WD was lost early during WW1, possibly by hitting a mine. Not yet verified.